Sunday, July 16, 2006

Look what I found in our garden!

We'd drained our pond to a shallow sludge ready to move it as we need a seating area in that position. Any time now we planned to tip all our hardcore into the hole to form a base for patio area. Now we have to wait. As I walked from the back gate to the house I saw something moving in the bottom of the ex-pond, from the corner of my eye. And blow me if it wasn't a bloomin' grass snake...complete with adult frog in it's jaws! I rushed in to get the camera and here are the better shots. I did feel dreadfully sorry for the frog; it was struggling to escape but had no hope. The snake had it's head in it's mouth when I came across them and was slowly dragging it under it's rock.
There's a short bit of video too, rough quality but it shows the poor frog trying to get away. Don't look if you're squeamish or upset by nature in the raw.







11 comments:

Alison Ashwell said...

Talk about biting off more than you can chew- amazing photos and film

natural attrill said...

Great Pics Sue, made me laugh to see them along with Mart cooking dinner! Penny.

PG said...

Urgh, it's quite brutal, isn't it, imagine knowing your're about to die while being eaten alive and then inside something's body, slowly dissolving adn suffovating...yurk!

PG said...

Or should I say suffocating...

Gordon Fraser said...

Flippin eck! Just while I'm eating me spagetti as well! The circle of life is a bugger ain't it!

muddy red shoes said...

ooohhh eeerrr, thats a mouthful

houstonmacbro said...

one word ... 'nature'.

Sue said...

It was quite a suprise to see nature hard at work only a few feet from our back door. Poor frog...sated serpent. Pas the After Eights.....

Sue said...

That was PASS the After Eights...that'll teach me to read my posts before posting.

Debbie said...

I know the snake has to eat but Eew! Great pics, but I definitely think people of a nervous disposition should not watch the video, PG’s description sums it up nicely.

Sue i have added you to my blog if thats OK?

Sue said...

Hi Debs,
I had mixed emotions when watching it. I even thought twice about not taking pictures or anything, but when all said and done it's nature, and the frog was doomed. I don't know what would have happened if the dog had got to the scene first though......

Thanks, I'll add you to my links too. Just off to view your page.