Monday, February 25, 2008

Spring is just around the corner!

February already...almost March, in fact! I've not had my blogging head on for a while, a mixture of being too busy/ too lazy. Never mind.


I put seed and nuts in feeders out for the birds, but had to stop putting food on the bird table, because a rat kept climbing up and dining there in style. So one morning last week I glanced out of the window and there was a pheasant on top of the bird table! And it was happily nibbling at the feeder it could now reach! I had to take a photo, it had to be through the glass though, as opening the door would have frightened it off.


My other photo is of my first batch of propogating seeds, on my studio window. I have lettuce coming through, along with some onions and a few flowers that will be planted amongst the veggies. I've been inspired by Geoff Hamilton's Ornamental Vegetable Garden dvd, which I bought recently. The veg patch at the end of the garden was dug before Christmas, but needed weeding again before planting, so that's what I'm gradually doing. Already I have a patch of garlic in and another cleared area ready for some early salad crops. Oh, and lots of old plastic drinks bottles sawn off and ready for duty as individual mini-greenhouses! I'll take photos as I go along.

1 comment:

June said...

Nice to see a new blog post again... you are better than I am!

I love your Pheasant on the bird table... today I was privileged to see my first Goldcrest as it went over the spikes of an 8' Christmas tree we have growing in our garden. Don't usually see such tiny birds in the city of Bristol. It looked magical.