Friday, June 18, 2010

Belly laughs

I thought it was about time to christen the new bellyboard, so here I am at Gwithian, one warm summer's evening, suited up and ready. I wasn't sure what to expect; the ride was likely to be different to my floaty, foam Morey bodyboard.
This chap was just checking I didn't have any pasties on me.

And this one was just checking the seagull out.


Eeek! Water!!


Hmmmm.....not bad....not bad at all!


And again......

Good so far, hair's still dry though; can't have that!

Now if someone would just cover that pesky sun......

There are a lot of these jolly - looking jellyfish washing up on the north coast at the moment. Best not to tread on them, I believe they don't sting much but could give you problems if you are prone to anaphylactic shock. (The spellchecker has just suggested 'intergalactic' shock! I like the sound of that. It's jellyfish, Jim, but not as we know it. LOL!)

You lookin' at me? Are you lookin' at me? Do you want some, come on then....do you think you're hard enough? (Sigh from bored jellyfish)

Meanwhile, back at the surf, Sue has finally got her hair wet.


This is the one that gave me the washing machine experience. I emerged sandy, dripping and with a long string of er...snot dangling.....not in the least ladylike....at least I wore a wide grin!


Come on in, Charlie, the water's lovely!

Ooof, that was a refreshing one! The ride is lower in the wave than with a foam board and my take-offs need working on. Still, I'm not missing many waves.

Just one more ride.......

It's almost 9pm and curry calls. We came out straight from working late and haven't had our tea.

Put that camera away!

10 comments:

PG said...

Blimey Sue, I do take my hat off to you! I wouldn't mind so much trying the surfing, but I WOULD object to being filmed while doing so! What lovely weather you had for it and how happy you look. :)

Sue said...

Hee hee! He did take a pic with the snot strand and I suspect that one will find it's way to digital oblivion!

Most of my friends think I'm mad to surf 'at my age' (whatever that means!)but it's so much fun, catching a wave gives you a rush and it keeps you fit. Downside, it ain't dignified and wetsuits make you look fat(ter)! LOL!

Debs said...

Sue the move to Cornwall seems to agree with you, you look fantastic.
Love the photo of Charlie and the jellyfish.

Susan Alison said...

Heh. What a great set of pics!

And what a great place.

And fab dog.

And it's all great.

Gordon Fraser said...

Cool pics Auntie Sue! (I'm SOOOOOOOOO jealous of you living down there!)

fhiona galloway said...

excellent photos Sue!!!
Love the jellyfish-so purple!!!

Keith said...

Now that looks like a day well spent.

And thanks to your spellcheck for making me laugh.

Cozy in Texas said...

I stopped by your blog - lovely pictures. I used to live in Cornwall man years ago (Perranporth) and still get homesick for the sea.
Ann
Cozy In Texas

Sue said...

Thanks for the comments, folks!Much appreciated.

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Sue, it's great to see this post as, like you, I went surfing at Gwithian on a lovely summer evening a while back. The experience was wonderful - the first dunk in the sea for more years than I care to mention!

Having previously complained that the water is just too cold to bear I bought a full wetsuit and am delighted at how effectively it insulates against the numbing cold of the North Atlantic.

I also used my trusty plywood surfboard, which is over 40 years old and cuts through the water at a cracking pace. It's wonderful that they're being manufactured again - love the look and colour of yours! Will look out for you when next in the area. x